What's the CO2/pH/KH relationship?

Discussion in 'CO2' started by loveaqua, Oct 28, 2017.

1. loveaqua

loveaqua Little Fishie

I have hard tap water with a high pH (~8.3) and KH (10+). From what I can understand this means that I can only bring my pH down somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.6 without having too high of a CO2 concentration in my tank. Is this correct, and can anyone suggest a good pH/KH/CO2 calculator or table?

2. ImUnderYourSubstrate

ImUnderYourSubstrate Administrator Staff Member

Articles:
    Although some websites do allow you to focus on the pH and kH, the ideal levels to not create too low or too high concentrations of CO2 levels do not just depend on the pH and kH levels alone. They actually also depend on the size of your tank, the water type that you use, as well as lighting factors, and other such things. Generally, the overall consensus is that somewhere between 30-40 is good for a ppm level to start a general indication. Then, from there, focus on adjusting the dosages by watching your plant and aquatic life’s health and vigor. Depending on how your plants thrive or die, you may need to do some more fine tuning and adjusting. Remember, it may take a bit of time to find the sweet spot, but don’t give up.

There are a few calculators that you can use for calculations. Specifically, the Hamzas Reef calculator will let you calculate the CO2 level by inputting the Alkalinity level, pH levels, temperature that it is generally at, and even the calculation approach. No matter what though, always use your own eyes and monitor your plant’s growth habits and health throughout the entire process. Human error is always a possibility, so trusting only in the calculator can lead to failure if not careful. We've included a calculator page with the most commonly used calculators for planted tanks: Planted Tank Source Calculator Page