What's the deal with Diatoms in my tank?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by loveaqua, Oct 28, 2017.

1. loveaqua

loveaqua Little Fishie

I seem to have developed diatoms in my newish (2 months) tank, which are growing on my glass, hardscape and larger-leafed plants. What water parameters cause a diatom bloom, and how can I stave it off? As it’s a newer tank I’m reluctant to add any algae eaters, but can anyone recommend diatom-eating species that would be compatible with a newly established tank?

2. ImUnderYourSubstrate

ImUnderYourSubstrate Administrator Staff Member

Articles:
    Diatoms generally form no matter what water level the tank is at. Since your tank is just starting out and you are attempting to start fresh, even at a couple of weeks it can still form. That is not to say that it is impossible to clean out and prevent it from growing again. It's debated that Diatoms generally form due to Silicate and Silicic acid that can be found in both the tank water, as well as the raw water that many tank users use to get the water ready for such things as water changes. Diatoms in a new tank are very common. Almost everyone will get them. The goal to defeating diatoms is many water changes before it gets out of control as well as heavily planting a new tank. Being too frugal on planting in the beginning is why many new tanks fail. Plant heavy and then remove plants a couple months later that you don't want. Don't worry about getting the perfect aquascape from the start.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2017